Vegetarian Suet Recipe
Everybody likes a little variety! Whether or not you are a vegetarian yourself, you may want to try this recipe for suet which doesn’t use animal fat. It has the nutrition birds need and birds seems to prefer this one to regular suet. And it lends itself to creating both suet cakes for your suet feeder, or pretty suet ornaments which can decorate your yard while offering a cold-weather buffet for birds. This kind of treat is great for attracting nuthatches, woodpeckers, titmice, chickadees and other insectivores. Here’s an eco-friendly version of the original recipe from Audubon:
* 1 1/2 cups shortening (look for palm oil free options)
* 3/4 cups nut butter (any kind)
* 3 1/2 cups wild bird seed
* 1 cup quick oats
* 1/2 cup corn meal
* Ice cube tray
1. Mix the dry ingredients of bird seed, oats, and corn meal together and set aside.
2. Combine the shortening and nut butter in a separate bowl and melt. Stir until completely combined.
3. Pour the melted mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Spoon mixture into the ice cube tray.
5. Freeze for one to two hours and place in your suet feeder!
Original recipe from The Misfit Baker